Saturday, March 15, 2008

Le Bateau Ivre Cafe

I kept passing by this restaurant/coffee bar, Le Bateau Ivre Cafe, and thinking I need to try this place. But for some reason, the facade just wasn't memorable to me. I kept thinking it was a blue victorian house... anyhow, I finally found it. The pictures of it, even now I barely recognize.

It is built into a house, so the layout is interesting. I like it. I haven't seen the rest of the house but the area I was in seemed very comfortable. The room I was in was a living room. It had many large windows with white curtains. There were paintings and mirrors on the wall as well as a large plant set off to one corner. I'm told the rest of the restaurant is much fancier than this room.

The crowd was described to me as, "people who have been coming back 15-20 years" On that note, the waiter was extremely nice, and funny. My coffee cup was always filled with some very very tasty freshly brewed coffee.

I had corned beef hash for breakfast, for the cost, the portions were not big, but came with a good sized serving of fresh fruit. The corned beef hash though, wow. Cooked with celery and onions, with fresh corned beef, fried to just the right degree of crisp. Being my second breakfast of the day, I slowly savored the melting of flavors. The celery was cooked soft adding a mild sweet flavor to each bite. The fruit was fresh, well portioned and delicious. The meal came with a little fresh raspberry jam for my wheat toast. All in all, a good meal, I'd go back to study... if they didn't mind.

No comments: